, , , ,

EU firm without a French establishment: How can you get a VAT refund?

man giving money to another man

REF.: 0050
If you are an EU based company without an establishment in France, you are a non-resident firm.

Generally, to deduct VAT in France you must also collect it, i.e. you must deliver goods and services subject to VAT. When you have deducted more VAT than you collected, this generates a ‘crédit de TVA’ (VAT refund).

Read more

, , , ,

Foreign firms without a French establishment

REF.: 0049

Who should you appoint to pay your social security contributions?

If you are a foreign company without an establishment in France, you are considered a non-resident  employer and if you want to recruit an employee operating in France, you will be liable to pay French social contributions.

Read more

, , ,

Reducing your French Wealth Tax (ISF) by investing in start-ups

man drawing a man climbing steps

REF.: 0048

Impôt sur la Fortune

The Wealth Tax (Impôt sur la Fortune) in France has long been a source of debate. Even today, it remains a sort of ‘tug-of-war’ between the political left and right. It is an applied tax on the wealth of “rich” people, which aims to increase the contributions to the state budget of people who are at the end of their professional career and thus no longer generate taxable income. It is a symbol of differences in ideologies, a point of strong debate between those who prioritize social justice vs those who value rewarding individual merits.

Read more

, , , ,

Reverse Charge on VAT for Imports

tree with blue sky background

REF.: 0045

Reverse Charge: Important changes you should be aware of.

On 8 November 2016, Parliament adopted the “Sapin 2” law, which provides a framework for the VAT reverse charge on imports.  Article 58 of the law replaces the simplified scheme with an authorisation system due to fears of a strong increase in VAT fraud…

In principle, the VAT due on imported goods is paid by the customs authorities at customs clearance. It is then recoverable from the revenue statements filed with the tax authorities.

The law of December 29, 2014 to amend finances in 2014 introduced the possibility for importing companies to reverse charge when they are liable for VAT in France.

This is useful because it allows companies to not pay VAT when clearing customs. Beneficiary businesses are allowed to declare and deduct the VAT on the n°3310 CA3 form.

Read more

, , , ,

Starting a Business in France as a One-Person Company

business man with a magnifying glass

REF.: 0044.2

What you need to know about starting a One-Person company in France.

The one-person company has a legal personality and its own assets. In fact, the sole partner limits their financial responsibility to just contributions. Another advantage is that it operates more easily because it is comprised of shares.

On the other hand, these companies must respect particular legal formalities outside of their constitution (establishing articles of association/bylaws) and throughout their social life (holding Annual General Meetings/AGMs) as well as more cumbersome accounting obligations than those for a sole proprietor, making them costlier.

There are two forms of associated corporation possible:

  • The EURL (a one-person limited liability company)


  • The SASU (a simplified shareholder company)

Read more

, , , ,

Starting a Business in France as a Sole Trader

captain vector in business man hands

REF.: 0044.1

Our insight on starting up as a Sole Trader in France.

The company set-up for a Sole Trader does not have any legal entity and does not own its assets. There is actually no distinction between the sole trader’s own assets and those of the company. This therefore means that property, developed or undeveloped but linked to the Sole Trader, is liable to be seized by creditors. In fact, the financial capacity of the company is only limited to the personal circumstances of the entrepreneur. We therefore advise against this type of set-up for an activity which is relatively capital-intensive.

Read more

, , ,

Starting a Business in France as a Micro-Enterprise

someone ready for a race

REF.: 0044.3

Setting up as a Micro-Enterprise: What should you know?

When looking to setup a business alone, there are two possibilities available to you:

  • Applying in your own name (either as an individual business or a micro-enterprise)


  • Creating a one-person company (either as an EURL – a one-person limited liability company or a SASU – a simplified shareholder company)

Read more

, , ,

Tax Credit for Entrepreneurs of Live Shows: Part II

man with a mask

REF.: 0039

Seven frequently asked questions about claiming back taxes for live shows.

This article is a follow up from ‘Tax Credit for Entrepreneurs of Live Shows’, which was published on the 24th of August 2016. It explains ‘Decree 2016-1209’, which was put in place on the 9th of September 2016.

This decree specifies the necessary conditions for applying tax credit. It also defines the relevant shows and the limitations for certain categories regarding expenditure.

Unlike the previous article, this one is structured in such a way that it tries to answer any questions that may arise (concerning the tax credit) before you ask them.

Read more

, , ,

Incentives to Increase Employment in SMEs

man climbing the steps

REF.: 0038

Financial Help and Tax Credits to Increase Employment and Business Competition in France

Often France is considered as the land of tight fiscal policy, a country lumbered with high taxes with little room for manoeuvre. This, however, is often not the case and there are several financial aids and tax credits which are designed to improve employment opportunities and facilitate healthy business competition between firms by decreasing the social charges which companies are currently under the impression that they have to pay.

Read more

, , ,

How to claim back your tax?

vector computer

REF.: 0035

Non Residents: You have the possibility of claiming back your tax!

In case of an error in the main base or the actual calculation of taxes, the taxpayer or their representatives can submit a claim to the administration in order to obtain a compensation.

Read more